PRGC has a Youth Program which meets the third Thursday of the month from September through June. It is open to both members and non members. Ages 5 to 15 are the most common participants, but adults often stay for the sessions as well.
The program has a different topic each month. We have had speakers on survival skills, birds of prey, fly tying, turkey hunting, trapping, conservation, archery, and many others.
Begins at 7 PM and usually runs for an hour.
We will begin the Youth Group for this year (2019/2020) on September 19.
The subject will be Rifle Range safety and etiquette with explanations,
demonstrations and participation by attendees. We have a schedule of
meeting subjects which are listed below and are also setting up a Youth
Pheasant hunt for the weekend of October 10/11.
Our meetings are generally held in the Club House at 7:00 PM on the
third Thursday of each month. It is open to all children and we
encourage parents of younger (under 12 years) to stay and participate.
2019/2020 MEETING SUBJECTS
SEPT. 19 – Rifle Range
OCT. 10/11 – Pheasant Hunt
NOV. 21 – Whitetail Deer Hunting
DEC. 19 – Water Fowl Hunting
JAN. 23 -Fresh Water Fish Identification
FEB. 18 – Archery
MAR. 17- Muzzle Loader Shooting
APR. 21 – Careers in the Outdoors
MAY 19 – TBA
JUN. 16 – Trap Shooting
We are hoping for increased youth participation and suggestions for new
subjects. We would welcome new adults to conduct meetings or organize
The June 2019 Youth Group Meeting was held June 20 and involved trap shooting instruction and practice. Shells were donated by a member and targets were donated by the club. Pizza was consumed afterwards. Thanks to our adult volunteers/instructors who helped the kids to be safe and have fun.
The April Youth Group Meeting was held Thursday April 11 (due to
Spring Break in most of the local schools being the third week in
April). The presentation was by Club Member Chris Yard who operates
Irish Knots Sport Fishing, a charter boat operating on Lake Ontario. He
described salmon and trout fishing. If you have any questions
please call me at (315)655-9847. Also, we will return to the third
Thursday for May and June. Dick Elliott
- The March 2019 Youth Group Meeting was held March 14 at the club house starting at 7:00 PM. Scott Schleuter, a club member and employee of US Fish & Wildlife in Cortland discussed the restoration of Sturgeon in Oneida lake and other waters of New York State. This was a very interesting subject!
- February 2019 Youth Group Meeting was moved ahead to February 14 at 7 PM. Special guest speaker discussed wood duck ecology. It was fascinating and well attended.
- The January 2019 Youth Group Meeting was held Thursday January 17 at
7:00 PM at Hart Rifle Barrels located at 1690 Apulia Road, LaFayette.
Hart Rifle Barrels is a world famous maker of extremely accurate rifle
barrels for use with custom rifles. Hart barrels have been used in
competitive rifles including Olympic competition. The meeting will
include a history of the company, a description of the differences
between a Hart Barrel and the barrels on a common rifle and a
description of some of the competitions that Hart Barrels have been in.
If you have any questions, need directions or a ride Call Dick Elliott
at (315) 655-9847.
- The October Youth Group Meeting was a Pheasant Hunt held Sunday October 14 at Brian Skeval’s Whitetail Tree Farm property at 1949 Pompey Center Road, Fabius, NY starting at 9:00 AM. The event was a success again this year, with the youngsters and dogs all having a great, safe, hunt
- The November Youth Group meeting was canceled due to the weather but plan on Thursday, December 20 at 7 PM at the Club for the next meeting.
Youth Group meeting Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:00 PM
December’s month’s meeting consisted of a brief discussion of archery equipment, safety and shooting techniques, and then a lot of shooting!
Club member and Bow Hunter Safety Instructor Walt Dixon conducted the meeting.